Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey Ink, Part 1

Grey from Diamine so stately and professional. A good basic grey.


I'm not even close to having Fifty Shades of Grey ink. Do 50 different greys even exist? Wonder how long it will take me to find out. Wonder how much fun I'll have finding out!

Full reviews of each of these inks coming another time. This time, it's just for fun.


Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same - delicate (hints of red)


I've been loving the Iroshizuku inks lately. Have you tried any? Highly recommended. And the bottles? Gorgeous!


Private Reserve Grey Flannel - Regular ole grey (with bits of green?)


You know what I wish? I wish the entire world could get together and decide on just one spelling for grey/gray. My preference (like Private Reserve's) is "gray." It just makes more sense, yo.


DeAtramentis - Silver-Grey - Nice classic shade

DeAtramentis Silver-Grey definitely looks more grey to me than silver. This isn't to slight Silver-Grey in any way, it's perfectly lovely.

You know what else I wish? I wish my images were all the same size. They were all scanned the same and they are all on 3x5 index cards. Still, the safe bet is that it has something to do with something I'm doing wrong. Probably with Flickr. I'm no Flickr expert even though it's been around for ages.


Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun - soft and a bit blue


How pretty is Fuyu-syogun? So pretty that it made my Wish List.  It is perfect - not too black, not too blue. Delicious. (Wait..how did I create this ink swab if I don't own the ink? I bought a sample from Goulet Pens, of course.)


J Herbin Gris Nuage - delicate


Gris Nuage is a beautiful gray. I always call it New Age Gray in my head. Funny, right? Nuage is actually the French word for cloud. 

Definitely has some blue / silver qualities to it. For some reason, I think this color belongs in weddings; it's such romantic shade, isn't it? I ran into some trouble with this ink during a test run - but I'm not ready to give up on it. More on that another time.



So..that's six of fifty. A lofty goal, but I'm confident I can find 44 more shades of grey and I can't wait to show you.

My favorite grays definitely lean toward the silver/blue side of things. Grays with too much red end up looking muddy to my eye. I'm a purist when it comes colors. I want to look at a color and say, "That's gray!" Not, "Oh. Is that gray?"

And on the (mostly internal) debate about grey versus gray. The Grammarist says either is right, though gray is used more commonly in the US - and I guess that explains my preference.

Which are your favorite grays? Have you read Fifty Shades of Grey?

2 comments:

  1. How about Diamine Prussian Blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, thank you for the suggestion, Nigel. I'll need to check it out and add to my (growing) list!

    ReplyDelete