Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

PEN REVIEW: Montegrappa Micra Red




My sweet, beautiful Montegrappa Micra. Marbly resin with sterling silver accents, this pen is stunning. I really dig the patina that has developed over the years.  I bought it new at a pen show (when? I cannot remember), used it regularly for a bit, and then placed it in a drawer with other pens.





Why would this pen sit so long unused? (Love the dog fur in my pictures?)





The pen measures around 4.5"(or around 5.75" when posted).
The cap is a screw-to-post style. (Loooove this feature.)




Even after years of sitting, the red is just as vibrant. The swirls in the resin are just a bit opalescent.




Having sat for so long, I didn't remember the model name of this pen. I had to research a bit and couldn't help but read some of what I found at Fountain Pen Network.

After writing with it for a bit, I think I may have discovered why it sat for so long. It's just not as comfortable as other expensive pens. The silver grip isn't - grippy. It's awkward, even. While the shape of the pen is faceted, the grip is smooth (though slightly concave) and feels - hard. I found myself with a total death grip and tired hand.

And the writing. I'm sure this is a matter of ink incompatibility (or a cleanliness issue).

Skipping . . .


And hard starting . . . 




As always, click to make any image bigger.


So I changed paper . . . 








My bottom line?  Well, I'm not ready to say just yet. I don't remember the pen being this uncomfortable, or the skipping and hard starting. 

I'm going to give it a good cleaning, change the ink, and try again.  Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment