Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

PEN REVIEW: Kaweco AL Sport Grey



Kaweco AL Sport Grey Fountain Pen Review



I'm usually not into the weights and measures of my fountain pens, but I can't help it this time. Capped, this great-looking pen measures right around four inches - the perfect size for pockets or smaller bags. When posted, the Kaweco gains over an inch to just about 5.25 inches.  Perfect.


The AL Sport weighs in at a solid 22g. For comparison, the Kaweco Ice Sport weighs just 10g.


I love the look of this pen - classic Kaweco design, sleek, simple, smart.

The color of is simply called grey. It's a very warm grey - leaning well into red. Lot of depth of color for what is basically a flat finish. I can't help but think that if you wanted to match this pen to an ink, you should try Pilot Iroshizuku's Kiri-same.

Unfortunately, this pen only accepts short international cartridges. Fortunately, some short international converters may work with the pen. Unfortunately, I don't know which those are - I am hoping someone will post with suggestions.




A great solid pen.



But how does it write?

I loaded up my medium-nibbed AL Sport with a Private Reserve Spearmint cartridge and got to writing . . . .







My early (and only) concern was that the section (grip area) is quite short and my thumb was hitting  (and rubbing against) it oddly. Honestly, I wasn't sure it was going to work out.





After writing with it for awhile, putting it down for a day or two, and then going back to it, there were no issues with the section/grip. Whew.  Perfectly comfortable, but something to be aware of because that section does seem short.










My bottom line . . . At around $80 (I got mine from Goulet Pens with my own saved pennies), it's a bit more expensive than some of the other Kaweco fountain pens, but the quality is there. Definitely recommended. In fact, I'm already looking for the Stonewashed version of this same pen - stay tuned!

xoxox

7 comments:

  1. Kaweco actually has their own mini converter. It's a squeeze style. I'm not really a fan and will send you one with my letter so you can see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Kaweco squeeze converter... the squeeze part does not work very well... there is no sense of having this converter for this pen because I find myself filling it with a syringe... I can do the same thing with an empty cartridge... so what is the point of having a converter that you fill the same way you fill an empty cartridge... it is really sad to see this beautiful expensive pen... that you can only use cartridges...

      Delete
    2. Ohhh..thank you, Gerald. I'd love to try it.

      I've done some reading since this post - sounds like the squeezie converter experience overall is much as Carlos and you seem to be describing. Too bad - it's a great looking pen.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see it earlier when I read this on my phone, but I really like how your pictures bring out the purple-y-ness of the pen. Really a nice color. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that box is really cool! I like the concept of these metal Kawecos, except for a couple of things: they're a bit expensive and they don't come with a proper converter. Being metal you can't use them as eyedropper either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I bought it on discount (welcome coupon) here http://www.archiviostore.it/shopping/?T=kaweco-licenza-di-scrittura/

    ReplyDelete